Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thankful.


WE HAVE SNOW! I love snow, but only the first 3 or 4 times then I am ready for it to melt and be nice again. However, on the first snow I am always Thankful.
As of around noon today we have about 8 inches at our house. I am loving this! Although I am thankful to be inside and not out and about in it. I went into work today and a lot of our kids took their own personal snow day so I was able to come home.
Rest.
I need it after a long emotional week and a busy weekend to come. Time to clean the house and cozy up by our fireplace with a cup of tea and wintery movie!

First though before I get to that cleaning... We have a tradition at our house when the first snow comes. I make baked oatmeal! YUM. Kevin loves it and I can never get enough of that amazing smell and warm oven on that first very cold day. Here is the recipe:

Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk (I love coconut milk in it!)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup thinly sliced apples

Directions:
* Mix together oil, brown sugar and egg
* Add remaining ingredients (minus apples) and mix well.
* Pour into a greased pan
* Top w/ sliced apples
* Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes

Kitchen Notes:
* This easily doubles and is so good you might as well. You can eat it hot or always warm it up later. It reheats nicely.
* I put the apples on top and then sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar.
* Some serve this with some warmed milk.

ENJOY!

Oh and THANK YOU for all the kind words and prayers for my family this week. My dad made it through Gall Bladder Surgery and is recovering well. We are SO excited to go home to visit them in three weeks. God is faithful and we are thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment