Saturday, October 15, 2011

Door to Door Organics


It is that time of year again. My favorite time of year. Fall!

For our family this means our beloved Farmer Markets are coming to a close for the season and we have eaten or frozen all the veggies we have attempted to grow in our garden. Around October I start to shop at Sunflower Market and Whole Foods again for my produce and love the debut of fall squashes; Butternut, Spaghetti, Acorn, etc. I can never get enough of fall produce.

In the past we have enjoyed Door to Door Organics (click here for the website) we love their service and the produce is the best around. Great price for delivery of organic fruits and veggies that you can mix and match to make the perfect box for your family.

This fall, however, we are pinching pennies as I have my new business with Tastefully Simple up and running and we are knocking out some debt, specially those dreaded school loans. I am still up in the air regarding D2D and if Sunflower might be my better option for quality good priced produce, it does seem to be a tad cheaper.

We had a gift card for this past week so we sent our order in to D2D and as always were more than impressed with the selection and quality of our order.

I never want to waste any of our produce so here is my list that I worked on today!

First though, here is what we received in our box:
collard greens - green cabbage - butternut squash - yellow onion - russet potatoes - broccoli - green onions - leaf lettuce - red pepper - bananas - kiwi berries - grapes - oranges - apples - avocados

Here is what I made:

1. Collard Greens - click HERE for the recipe already on our blog (greens and onions)
2. Coleslaw - again click HERE (I used our cabbage, carrots I had, the yellow onion)
3. Roasted Butternut Squash - I used the bottom half of the squash and baked it at 350 for an hour top w/ EVOO and garlic garlic seasoning. Eat right out of peel!
4. Diced Butternut Squash - I used the top half cut into cubes, baked at 350 for 40 mins and seasoned with butter and season salt from Tastefully Simple of course!
5. Dairy Free Cream of Broccoli Soup - see recipe in previous post (used onion, broccoli, potatoes)
6. Thai Peanut Chicken - again click HERE for recipe (used red pepper, onion, green onion, broccoli)
7. Salads - (used lettuce, pepper, green onion, avocados)

Then we ate the fresh fruit and put some in our breakfast smoothies! It has been a great TWO weeks with our produce!

You will notice on my list "kiwi berries". If you have never experienced this fruit you need to. It is my favorite and I can't find it in stores :( Check them out HERE.

Here was our Saturday night dinner: Cubed Butternut Squash, Collard Greens, and Grilled Shrimp Scampi. YUM!

Kitchen Notes:
*When we have leftover veggies we either freeze them, cut them up and freeze in a bag marked "veg scraps for veggie stock". When I have enough I then cook them down for stock in my slow cooker and freeze the stock.
* If we have enough variety leftover instead of freezing for stock I make a great stir fry!

No comments:

Post a Comment