Sunday, October 23, 2011

Egg Rolls!


Once I experimented with egg rolls for the cooking club I was in.
They turned out great.
We loved them.
BUT... we forgot about putting them on our menu.

THEN! We got invited to experiment with making our own Sushi with some friends. So I decided I should pull out that egg roll recipe to serve as an appetizer. I can't wait to have these again and share them with friends.

Chinese Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
1/2 package egg roll wrappers (between 10-12)
2 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups slivered cabbage
1/4 cup slivered carrots
1/2 cup diced tofu
1/2 cup salad shrimp
1 cup chinese noodles
3 tbs soy sauce
pinch of sesame seeds
pinch of red pepper flakes

Directions:
* Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan (minus wrappers and shrimp).
* Saute until golden and add shrimp, cooking for 3 minutes.
* Fill egg rolls. When folding fold the corner facing you over the filling then fold in outward corners towards the center. Continue rolling until you get to the final corner (top) use your finger to brush some water on the corner then finish rolling. (this step holds it together when baking).
* Place on greased baking sheet and then spray the tops of the egg rolls with the cooking spray.
* Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
----------

THEN! I was poking around on some of my favorite blogs and found this: Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls . YUM! I had to make these. They looked so easy and healthy too!

Here is my version:

Fiesta Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
2 cups corn
1 cup black beans
1 cup fresh roasted green chiles
2 green onions
2 tsp cumin
pinch of salt
1 package egg roll wrappers (need about 20)

Directions:
* Combine and mix all ingredients (minus egg roll wrappers) Do not need to precook.
* Place mixed ingredients into the egg roll wrapper working one sheet at a time. See directions above on previous recipe.
* Place on greased baking sheet and then spray the tops of the egg rolls with the cooking spray.
* Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes

Kitchen Notes:
* These were served with fresh salsa and guac! AMAZING
* I used dried black beans that I had cooked in my slow cooker and fresh roasted green chiles from Kevin's grandma! oh so good!
* You of course can use regular cheese if you aren't watching dairy/vegan. You could also add chicken, ground beef, pulled pork, etc.

Loving the versatility of egg rolls. There is so much you can do with that little egg roll wrapper. I am thinking about a vegan chocolate with bananas for a dessert one needs to happen in the near future!




No comments:

Post a Comment