Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Squash... Fall Medley

I love Fall! I could have Fall weather and foods year round and be so happy with life. I especially can't wait for when squash goes on sale. There are so many different things you can do with squash making it both a savory or a sweet dish. I often prefer my squash to be on the savory side but every once in a while I can top a butternut with butter and brown sugar and that is amazing too. 

I was searching on Pinterest this week for a new recipe using a beautiful butternut squash I picked up at Sprouts. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand for this recipe and I added onions and garlic to the original recipe and so glad that I did! It doesn't really have a name but it tastes amazing. 



Fall Medley - original recipe
Ingredients

  • 1 medium/large zucchini
  • 3 cups packed chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 small butternut squash
  • 4-5 slices double smoked bacon 
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1 TBS garlic (minced)
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Zest & juice of 1/2 medium lemon
  • Small handful of chopped almonds (other nuts or seeds would likely work also)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Peel the butternut squash, remove seeds and cut into stripes
  3. Toss butternut squash cubes in EVOO
  4. Roast squash at 375 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown at the bottom
  5. While the squash is in the oven, prepare the rest of the dish
  6. Cook the bacon, drain and set aside
  7. Using the same pan, saute the spinach and onions on low heat with the cumin, garlic, salt and pepper for ~5 minutes, or until wilted
  8. Chop the bacon, add to the spinach and set aside
  9. Make zucchini noodles using a spirooli (if you don't have one, cut ribbons using a vegetable peeler)
  10. Toss zucchini noodles with lemon juice, lemon zest
  11. Cut the squash into bite size cubes
  12. Add squash, bacon and spinach to the zucchini
  13. Top with chopped almonds

Kitchen Notes:
The original recipe makes the dish sound more like a salad to be eaten cold. I much preferred it heated up and with the addition of the garlic and onions going for a more savory dish. Make sure to go light on the lemon flavor, it can become over powering quickly - unless you like it that way! 

I am also thinking about reheating the leftovers in the oven topped with parm cheese! 

No comments:

Post a Comment