Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

I love shopping at Sprouts Market. Even though there really isn't one in our neighborhood I find it worthwhile with their great deals on meat and produce to drive the 15-20 minutes one way every other week to catch their double add Wednesdays.

This past week they had four types of apples on sale for 0.49 a pound - such a GREAT deal. I went in and bought about 15 lbs of apples - so about 45 apples total. I was on a mission to cook them down and make applesauce. It freezes so great and tastes way better than any kind of store bought. I ended up buying 1/2 and 1/2 of red gala and green golden delicious. A mix of variety is often the key to a great tasting applesauce.

Homemade Applesauce

8-12 apples - peeled and cored, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 cinnamon stick
2 slices lemon peel
5 TBS brown sugar
small amount of water to cover bottom of pot

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low until apples are soft. Use potato masher and mash to desired consistency. This freezes great and also lasts in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

------
I also wanted to cook a large batch down without any seasoning/spices in it for Lucy. Since it freezes so great I can cook the apples down and mash/puree them and freeze for when she is ready to start on that type of food. My goal since I have the luxury of working from home with my business is to make most to all of her food. It is a great way to save money being really affordable - plus I know what is entering my child's body.

Apple Puree for Lucy

8-12 apples - peeled and cored, diced into 1 inch pieces

Cover apples in a large pot with water. Let simmer on low until soft. Mash or puree - freeze or serve fresh.

Here is a great website I have been scooping out for when we are ready to start making Lucy's food. Also where I got the helpful info on making her apples.
Homemade Apple Baby Food
Wholesome Baby Food

No comments:

Post a Comment