Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies - Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread

Today was a cookie making day! I had bought Chocolate Mint Chips a couple weeks ago when I was really wanting something sweet for dessert. I brought them home and stuck them in the freezer and had pretty much forgotten about them. :)

When I found them last week on my big freezer clean out I thought they would be great for cookies and I could make some to freeze for Christmas. I'm assuming even with my parents and sister here for the holiday that I personally won't be doing a ton of baking with either a newborn or almost baby here.

I also had a great coupon that went with a sale at Sprouts a couple weeks ago for Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread. It is a great butter sub and with a $2 off coupon and their Buy One Get One Free sale it was too good to pass up. We weren't sure what we would think of it but had it on our list to try as we are always looking for good Vegan Butter subs.

The overall verdict of the Coconut Spread is that it for sure has a coconut flavor and one that doesn't really go good with garlic bread and savory dishes but is great on the morning with toast and jelly, great with peanut butter and perfect for baking yummy desserts.

Here is my chocolate chip recipe and below is my new creation with the coconut spread and chocolate mint chips!

Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread 
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 (12 oz) pkg. chocolate mint chips 

Directions:
* Cream coconut spread and sugars until smooth
* Beat in eggs and vanilla
* Add dry ingredients; mix well.
* Stir in chocolate mint chips.
* Bake on greased cookies sheet at 375 for 5-7 minutes.

Makes 6 dozen cookies

Normally I would NOT make 6 dozen cookies and I half this recipe but the wonderful husband happened to call right as I was mixing these up and I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing because I was of course given him my FULL attention :) and ended up with ingredients mixed up for 6 dozen! He had no complaints of course and now I can for sure freeze some for the holiday. As long as I get them hidden in the freezer before he arrives home! He takes the myth of eating for two seriously these days - for himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment