Thursday, January 2, 2014

Homemade Egg Noodles

Cooking from scratch has always been my favorite way to be in my kitchen. It allows me to not dirty the measuring cups and I get to really be creative. I am not a huge resolution type person but I do love to set up some goals to help my family be more frugal and yet healthy.

My husband's grandma taught me this past summer how to make homemade egg noodles from scratch and I have put it off for way to long trying it out myself. I dove in this weekend and they turned out AMAZING. It is so easy and I can't wait to stock my freezer with bags of noodles for us to use year round.

Grandma Bea's Homemade Egg Noodles

Ingredients:
* Egg
* Water
* Salt and pepper
* Flour

Directions:
* There really isn't any measuring involved so I will try to lay it out for you as best as possible.
1. Take 1 egg and crack into a bowl. Fill one half of the egg shell with warm water and whisk together with egg.
2. Add pinches of salt and pepper.
3. Add flour to mixture until the egg mixture can't hold anymore. I found this to be about 1 cup flour per 1 egg ratio. You will need to mix it together and then dig in with your hands to help form the dough.
4. Let dough set for 10-30 minutes.
5. Take dough and roll out with some flour until very flat. Then using a pizza cutter cut into the desired shape and style of noodles you want.
6. Lay them out to dry for 10-24 hours. I let mine either set overnight or just all day if I make them in the morning.

You can freeze these in containers or bags. They are AMAZING in Chicken Noodle Soup!

I can't wait to experiment with these more. Adding some Tastefully Simple Seasonings in them - I think our Spinach and Herb seasoning would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment