Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chicken Stock

I have been very ambitious this week/weekend getting our freezer stocked with some homemade goods. As you can see from the previous blog posts the kitchen has been busy. My main goal in keeping this blog is to catalog my own recipes. This way they are all in one place and easy to search for and find. The added bonus is I don't have to carry recipes with me when we travel or if something would ever happen to our home I know they are safe online.

After I made noodles the other week I was excited about making my own chicken stock. Something that I have thought about for several years now honestly but I am really picky and squirmy when it comes to raw chicken. I know it would be cheaper to purchase a raw whole chicken but it just really doesn't appeal to me.

Finally I sent my husband to Costco for one of there amazing Rotisserie Chickens. We absolutely love them and you can't beat the quality or price. Today he came home with a 4 pound chicken for 5 dollars. Again I know a raw chicken would be cheaper but I am happy with $1.25/lb and it is already cooked for me.

I pulled all the meat off the bones and was able to make four meals for our family of three with this. Two I diced for pasta or soup later and froze, one I diced for some chicken cranberry and almond pasta salad I am making this week and the fourth section we are eating tonight with some butternut squash. I then used the remainder of the chicken to make chicken stock. Some to freeze and some to go with our homemade egg noodles for chicken noodle soup. Here is my new found recipe...

Chicken Stock

Ingredients:
* 1 chicken (see above)
* 3 quarts water
* salt and pepper
* 5 carrots
* 2 single stalks celery (ribs and leaves!)
* 1 onion
* parsley, evoo, garlic

Directions:
* Place chicken and water in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for an hour.
* Cut veggies into large chunks and place in oven at 400 degree to roast for an hour. I coated mine with evoo, salt and a little pepper.
* When veggies are done add them to the stock pot with the broth. Cook for another hour.
* Add salt and pepper as needed to flavor stock along with garlic and parsley.
* When stock is done cooking I drained all veggies out and froze the clear liquid stock. I then used the veggies in my chicken noodle soup.

This will be my go to recipe - it is SO good!

No comments:

Post a Comment