Sunday, May 11, 2014

Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding

My parents have been using Chia Seeds for many years and I hear from so many other people how wonderful the health benefits are. This week I got brave and decided to make a recipe that I have been staring at for several months. I was thrilled with the outcome and am now completely addicted!

First off Chia Seeds are considered a "superfood" because of being able to give maximum nutrients with such few calories. The seeds are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and have a high amount of protein and fiber. (2 TBS contain 11 grams of fiber which is 40% of your daily value) - thus keeping you feeling full longer. To see a more completed list check out the Top 10 Health Benefits of Chia Seeds. 

Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding

Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 3 TBS raw chia seeds
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (coconut, soy, reg milk, etc)
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS maple syrup or raw local honey
pinch of sea salt (I used celtic but kosher would also work)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together and cover tightly  - Refrigerate over night or at least 4 hours (longer the better) - Stir and mix in your add ins and enjoy!

Kitchen Notes:
* To thicken pudding replace 1 cup of the milk with 1 cup yogurt (dairy free yogurt works great too).
* I loved the mix of the honey and vanilla in the pudding.
* The consistency is much like tapioca pudding - YUM!
* I added sliced bananas and coconut to my first batch and it was SO good!
* Visit Domesticate Me website for the original version of the recipe and ALL the awesome add ins she has come up with - the options are endless. PLUS photos!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment