Wednesday, September 26, 2012

French Onion Soup

French Onion Soup is my favorite slow cooker soup for Fall. It is the first soup I always make when 60 degree weather hits and no matter how big of a batch I make we never seem to have enough leftovers!

My old recipe is listed here: French Onion Soup 

However, searching through Pinterest the other day I found another great recipe - although they are basically the same I think this one is the best one we have tried yet! Of course I changed it around a bit so feel free to look at the original recipe link.

French Onion Soup: original recipe 

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup EVOO
3 large onions (sliced) w/ a pinch of salt
1/4 cup flour
1 cup dry sherry
8 cups beef broth
2 cloves garlic (chopped or use Garlic Garlic)
croutons and swiss cheese slices for topping  

Directions:
1. Heat EVOO  in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat.
2. Add the onions and salt and cook slowly at low with the lid on until golden brown and caramelized, about 45 min, stirring every 15 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, stir to combine and let cook until it starts to caramelize.
4. Add the dry sherry and deglaze the pan.
5. Add the broth and garlic to slow cooker - then add onion mixture.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
7. Serve with croutons and cheese!  


No comments:

Post a Comment